Monday, October 5, 2009

Dating Math Part 2: Division

This math lessons comes thanks to the Weak Bladder Dude. It was our first meeting. He asked me out. I said yes. We met at a restaurant, he was a bit late, but apologized, blaming bad traffic. Not a big deal.
We proceeded to the bar area and ordered a round of drinks. Next, came the 101 questions of why/when/what that made me feel like I was part of a secret match.com survey that I didn't know about. I understand that the first meetings are meant for two people to get to know each other, but perhaps if you can't talk about something other than match.com itself, it's a bad sign, eh?

So alright, we chatted, it was kind of clear that it wasn't a match, but that's not a reason not to be polite. So we continued to make small talk while I sipped on my drink and he ordered another one. The conversation went downhill, we both started gazing around for our waitress, and I even attempted to pay attention to a football game broadcasted on one of the large screens.

Ah, the waitress finally came by with the check. And that's when the dude looked at me and said the magic words "Let's split this". Now, don't get me wrong, I don't believe that men have to pay all the time, I really don't. But perhaps, when they are asking you out the first time, and all you have is one measly drink, it is ok for them to get it? But this was clearly not the case.

"Ok," I said, pulling out my credit card. Why I didn't take out cash and ran away right then and there, I don't know (perhaps I am a masochist). So there we were, sitting, waiting for the waitress to come by and get our credit cards. When she did finally get to our table, the dude said once again the magic word "split." Here's when we finally get to our math lesson of the day. Get your pens and paper ready.

Splitting, implies an equal division of total amount between the parties, for the equal amount of consumption. Let's look at this in math terms. If total consumption is x and total amount is t, then each party will owe t/x, once again assuming that each consumed the same amount. But since in our case my consumption was 1, and his was 2, I was quite puzzled why he thought that I would want to pay for his half of the drink. And I have to say, math is not a strong subject for all, I understand, but the dude was well educated, so I do think he was capable of doing elementary math.

So as I handed my credit card to the waitress, we locked our eyes, woman-to-woman, and I clearly and loudly announced "Please put my drink on my card, and he can pay for the rest."

No comments:

Post a Comment