Monday, September 28, 2009

Dating Math

A long, long time ago, probably back in elementary school, I was taught the rules of rounding. Remember? If the number is 0.5 or larger, you round up, so a 5.6 becomes a 6. But if a number is 0.4 or less, you have to round down - a 7.3 becomes a 7. Brings back memories, huh?

Well, apparently, the simple laws of math are lost on many. Enter dating math. Let me explain. One of the profile characteristics you fill out on your match profile is your height. "Shockingly" match asks you for your height in feet and inches, therefore, supposedly, not leaving room for any rounding up (why would you want to round down, right?). So a guy who is 5-foot-6-inches tall, can't magically become a 6-foot fellow, correct? Ah!!! But a 5-foot-6-inch guy, somehow becomes a 5-foot-10-inch guy. How might you ask? Dating math!

Here are my thoughts. Lying is a bad idea period. Lying about something as obvious as your height is plain stupid. Do you think that we won't notice that you are 2-4 inches shorter than you claim? Perhaps you think that we might forget that we are wearing 1-2-3- inch heels, or maybe it's your lucky day and we are wearing flip flops or ballet slippers. You wish!

In reality, some of us, or at least I do, pick out our shoes according to your height. Personally, I'm not a fan of towering over my date. So imagine my disappointment (in your height and your integrity) when I show up on our date (aka meeting) and you are much shorter than you claim.

So guys, please, be honest. Say how tall you really are, not how tall you think you need to be in order for us to go out with you.

And on a separate note, I just bought a pair of 4" wedge sandals, so I'm looking for my 6-foot-tall guy (no dating math here).

2 comments:

  1. It's a good thing they don't ask people to list their weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contrary to Chris Rock's dissertation on the subject, when guys lie on Match, they lie BIG: "Of course I'm 5'10", or "No, I'm not married".

    But I've caught women in a few lies:
    #1: Body type = "Athletic & Toned". This one is so abused that no one should bother looking at it (male or female).
    #2: Pictures. Don't show me a shoulder-up shot from New Years Eve 1999 and think I won't notice on the first date. Put up recent pictures or don't put any up at all.
    #3: Height. Not a big deal, lots of ladies are in the 4'10"-5'4". But damnit, just say so.
    #4: Location. Don't tell me you live in a couple subway stops away when you really live 50 minutes by car out in the boonies.

    ReplyDelete